Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A RACING FAMILY

Where is the best place to spend an afternoon with your kids if you have speed coursing through your veins? It has been a year in the making but finally I was able to take my kids to the track yesterday to start working on a lifelong goal of winning the “24 Hours of Le Mans” as a privateer team. It also coincided with my son’s 14th Birthday making it an extra special treat.

We got to Dromo One a little before 6PM and practically had the track to ourselves. There were only two other karters on the circuit doing practice laps. When we were called to the track there was only the three of us - Ashley, Nelson and I.

I had to benchmark our fitness to see what we have to do. Top-level racecar drivers are some of the fittest athletes in the world. Anyone can probably drive a car at 80% but driving a car on the very limit lap after lap requires concentration and a level of physical and mental endurance that many sports do not demand. There are G-forces during acceleration, braking and turning that wears on the body over the length of the race. There is also the soaring temperatures inside a cockpit that by design have been stripped of all civility like an air-conditioning system. Top-level competition such as a sprint races (Formula One) lasts a little over two hours. Endurance races (24 Hours of Le Mans) will require a driver to put in a minimum of 2 hours per stint and will cycle through 24 hours among 4 drivers. Against that backdrop is one element that is ever present in racing - the danger and the attendant consequences of speed.

My daughter, Ashley, actually out-qualified Nelson and I, meaning she was the fastest during the first four laps of qualifying. When the race started, she lined up P1 (First Position). But as the race progressed, her lap times started dropping as the race wore on and she got fatigued. Nelson’s fitness, on the other hand, is much better but left much to be desired.

My fitness was a huge unknown before I took to the track. I’ve been preparing for a “4 Round Boxing Match” and ballooned from a running weight of 138 lbs to just over 150 lbs. I had to bring my weight up to be able to make the weigh-in at Welterweight (147lbs). I wanted to carry that weight as long as I can so my body can adjust to it and not lose speed and power in the boxing ring. In the end, my fitness was adequate but a long way from where I know I can be.

As drivers, my kids and I are a far distance away from competing at the very top levels of motorsports. What we lack in experience and talent we will have to compensate for in other ingenious ways. One of my fitness goals is to make sure that on any circuit and any race we compete, no team will be able to outlast us. We have to place a premium on mental and physical toughness.