Friday, November 7, 2008

HANDICAPPED RACER

I was at the Neighborhood Cup in Aliso Viejo this evening and had a chance meeting with Benedict, a disabled friend of mine who gets around in a wheelchair. He’s originally from Indianapolis and has a passion for motorsports. In our conversation, I mentioned my plans of racing in the "24 Hours Of Lemons" around December of next year, if not sooner. As a result, we are now in discussions and will be investigating the possibilities of fielding an extra car modified for a team of handicapped racers. There are technologies for disabled drivers currently available for street use that can be improved to meet the demands of racing. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite racers, Alex Zanardi, whose legs were both severed in a racing accident, races in a specially modified BMW 320si in the FIA ETCC in Europe. So, the idea is viable. I’ll keep you informed.